The Schroth™ based physical therapy is indicated for scoliosis, kyphosis, pre and post surgery. It is effective for all age groups. Schroth is the standard NON-SURGICAL, treatment for scoliosis.
The Schroth method teaches a 3-D correction of the spine while engaging in exercise to mirror the patient's scoliosis. Dr. Bawa is certified in Schroth Scoliosis Therapy, a conservative scoliosis treatment by the ISST (International Schroth 3-dimensional Scoliosis Therapy, Germany). She is also certified by the BSPTS (Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School, Spain) in Scoliosis therapy and is accredited in SEAS Therapy (Scientific Exercises Approach to Scoliosis), a conservative method of treatment of scoliosis developed by ISICO (Istituto Scientifico Italiano Colonna Vertebrale, or Italian Spine Scientific Institute). She incorporates her vast knowledge of scoliosis treatment into each patient's treatment plan to produce optimal results. Through using these methods, she hopes to halt and decrease the progression of the scoliosis curve.
The exercises Dr. Bawa teaches are categorized as Physiotherapy Scoliosis Specific Exercises(PSSE). They incorporate principles of auto-elongation, isometric strengthening and corrective rotational breathing to:
- Prevent or decrease curve progression
- Increase trunk stability
- Enhance pulmonary function
- Improve mobility and posture
- Reduce pain
The treatment includes:
- Musculoskeletal evaluation and postural assessment
- X-ray review
- Scoliosis education for patients and families
- The individualized exercise program, working one on one with a certified Schroth therapist
- Customized home exercise program
- Education about “do’s and don’ts” in daily life and activities of daily living
- Bracing consultation for scoliosis