Meet Dr. Harleen Bawa, PT, DPT
Dr. Harleen Bawa has been a licensed Physical Therapist in New York since 2007.
She specializes in the treatment of scoliosis, spine rehabilitation, and musculoskeletal injuries. In 2003, Dr. Bawa graduated from MS Ramaiah Medical College in India with a degree in Physical Therapy. She then pursued her Doctorate in Physical Therapy at the University of New England. She has advanced her physical therapy career with post-graduate certificate training in the following: Mulligan Technique, Myofascial Release, Kinesio Taping, and Trigger-point therapy.
Dr. Bawa is certified in Schroth Scoliosis Therapy, a conservative scoliosis treatment that originated in Germany,by the following:
- ISST (International Schroth 3D Scoliosis Therapy). Method (Asklepios Clinic, Germany).
- BSPTS (Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School)
- SEAS therapy (Scientific Exercises Approach to Scoliosis), a conservative method for treatment of scoliosis developed by ISICO (Istituto Scientifico Italiano Colonna Vertebrale, or Italian Spine Scientific Institute).
She is a member of the Society for Scoliosis Orthopedic & Rehabilitation Treatment (SOSORT) and APTA (American Physical Therapy Association). She is also a certified Polestar Pilates teacher.
Dr. Bawa has completed clinical affiliations in following settings:
- Jamaica Hospital Medical Center
- Westchester Square Hospital
- North Shore Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- a variety of clinical settings in acute rehab, acute care, and outpatient rehabilitation
The following are conferences that Dr. Bawa has attended:
- 2019 Annual Conference and Meeting of the American Society for the Alexander Technique (June 28, 2019, Columbia University Medical Center, NEW YORK CITY)
- 5th Annual Non-Operative Treatment of Childhood Scoliosis (May 23, 2019, Columbia University Medical Center, NEW YORK CITY)
- SOSORT 2019 Conference (April 24-27, 2019, SAN FRANCISCO)
- SOSORT 2018 Conference (April 19-21, 2018, DUBROVNIK, CROATIA)
- SOSORT 2017 Conference May 4-6, 2017, LYON, FRANCE)
Dr.Bawa believes not in only treating the conditions that our patients are diagnosed with but in helping them to achieve their goals and to restore normal function. Physical therapy is considered to play a key role not only in rehabilitative but also in preventative medicine. Dr. Bawa utilizes an integrated manual therapy approach reinforced by therapeutic exercise and functional training to optimize her patients’ care and goals.
Dr. Bawa takes a holistic approach to each patient's entire well-being and educates them about wellness and engagement in a healthy lifestyle.
Rehab Core Physical Therapy is committed to providing high quality outpatient physical therapy services in a beautiful state-of-the-art facilities.
As a healthcare leader we partner with groups and events within the communities we serve. Our focus on our physical therapists' continuing education is unmatched and guarantees our physical therapists understand and put into practice cutting-edge treatments and rehabilitation techniques available for all types of injuries and conditions.
Your Health. Our Priority
- Patient Centered Practice -- Dr.Bawa and staff believe in providing you, our patient,with individualized treatment plan that complements your rehabilitation as well as your personal goals. As a patient, you receive a complete one-hour session with hands-on treatment. Every patient is educated about their condition and is expected to follow specific home exercises, in addition to treatment, to strengthen their rehabilitation progress.
- Creating a Safe Environment -- We believe in providing you with a safe environment in which to rehabilitate. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our patients complete a COVID-19 form prior to their evaluation. In our office, we take every person’s temperature as they enter, and we sanitize ALL our equipment and common areas. We also ensure that our patients are physically safe while using any Pilates or rehab equipment by educating and teaching you how to safely and effectively use them.
- Our Social Responsibility -- As healthcare providers, we have a duty to you, our patients,to educate you about the role of physical therapy in the medical field, utilize appropriate therapeutic techniques, advocate for your health and wellbeing in the rehabilitation process ,and help you to maintain an active and prescription drug-free lifestyle.